Papanicolaou's stain is used commonly for cancer screeing
and smear preparations of various bodily secretions.
- Mix 11.25ml of a 10% eosin Y solution into 450ml
of 100% ethanol.
- Mix 2.25ml of a 10% aqueous solution of light green
SF into the solution from step 1.
- Mix 25ml of a 1% bismarck brown solution (in ethanol)
into the solution from step 2.
- Mix 10ml of a 10% aqueous solution of phosphotongstic
acid into the solution from step 3.
- Mix 0.3ml of an aqueous solution of saturated lithium
carbonate into the solution from step 4.